The last ever Inglis Easter Yearling Sale to be held at the historic Newmarket complex in Sydney begins on Tuesday and Victorian breeders will certainly playing their part in sending off the famous auction venue.
A total of 44 Victorian bred or sired yearlings will go under the hammer.
These yearlings and their breeders will be hoping to follow in the footsteps of other Victorian bred yearlings that have lit up the Newmarket Easter sales ring over the years.
The Gilgai bred All Too Hard (Easter 2011) and this season’s three-year-old sprinting superstar Flying Artie (Easter 2015) bred in the garden state by John and Pal Shannon are just two such recent examples.
Highlights of the ‘Victorian draft’ at Easter include:
- Spendthrift Australia will make its Australian yearling sale debut with a Tapit colt out of an American Group 3 winner.
- Hesket Bloodstock is selling six colts (through Amarina Farm) from the Newham farm all with exceptional black-type pedigrees.
- Makybe is offering two superbly bred fillies as well as a Snitzel half brother to Group 1 Thousand Guineas winner Amicus (through the Milburne Creek draft).
- Woodside Park Stud has its debut draft at the Easter Sale with five lots including colts and fillies from resident sires Written Tycoon and Zoustar.
- A Written Tycoon colt out of Shabtis, bred at Tyabb by Eldon Park Stud, is expected to fetch a healthy price. He is a half brother to Group 3 winning filly Take Pride.
- Rosemont Stud is selling a Redoute’s Choice-Catshaan colt, a sibling to two Group 1 Oaks winners in Absolutely and Abbey Marie
- Glentree Thoroughbreds of Modewarre is offering two colts through the Bhima Thoroughbreds draft including lot 119, a More Than Ready filly from the famed Urge To Merge/Princess Tracy family
- On the Victorian first crop sire front, Sun Stud’s two stallions Fiorente (1 lot) and Fighting Sun (2 lots) are both represented.
Victorian vendors (or as agent) include:
- Dorrington Farm, Hastings
- Glentree Thoroughbreds, Modewarre
- Hesket Bloodstock, Newham
- Limerick Lane Thoroughbreds, Nagambie
- Makybe, Gnarwarre
- Rosemont Stud, Gnarwarre
- Saconi Thoroughbreds, Whittlesea
- Spendthrift Australia, Romsey
- Woodside Park, Tylden
Active Victorian sires with lots include:
- Fighting Sun (Sun Stud) – 2 lots
- Fiorente (Sun Stud) – 1 lot
- Manhattan Rain (Blue Gum Farm) – 1 lot
- Reset (Darley Northwood) – 3 lots
- Written Tycoon (Woodside Park) – 6 lots
- Zoustar (Woodside Park) – 21 lots