The 2016 Spring Racing Carnival was a highly lucrative one for Victorian bred and sired horses with 21 black type wins. And many of these victories have been at the highest level.
Since the racing season began in August, nine Group 1 wins have been recorded by Victorian bred horses in the 29 Group 1 races contested. The Group 1 honour roll reads:
- Bon Aurum (bred by Parador Park, Euroa) – Sir Rupert Clarkes Stakes
- Flying Artie (by Artie Schiller; bred by John Shannon) – Coolmore Stud Stakes
- Global Glamour (bred by Lauriston Thoroughbred Farm, Corinella) – Flight Stakes & Thousand Guineas
- Hauraki (by Reset; bred by Godolphin) – Epsom Handicap
- Jameka (bred by Gilgai Farm, Nagambie) – Caulfield Cup
- Le Romain (by Hard Spun; bred at Greta West Stud by Mark & Tony Carusi) – Cantala Stakes
- Malaguerra (by Magnus; bred by Sandown Lodge Stud)
- Scales of Justice (bred by Gerard & Kathy Hammond at Millford Thoroughbreds, Nagambie)
But the success did not end there.
No less than 29 Victorian breeders had a horse they bred ring up a black-type win or placing during the Spring Carnival (23rd September – 19th November).
The TBV Spring Premierships for breeders and sires were once again a fascinating race in their own.
Nagambie’s Gilgai Farm won the Breeders Premiership by a large margin.
Gilgai graduates Jameka and The Quarterback scored black type win wins while promising Statue of Liberty 2yo Can’t Remember also recorded a black-type placing on debut.
Runner-up was Valda Klaric who breeds her horses at Millford Thoroughbreds, Nagambie. Valda has two terrific homebred mares in French Emotion and Kaniana that scored Group wins.
The Victorian Spring Sires Premiership was a very close run affair. Darley’s former shuttler to Northwood Park Hard Spun just edged out Sun Stud’s Magnus.
For Hard Spun, Group 1 winner Le Romain was the standard bearer while Turnitaround also won at Group level.
Magnus’ major success was with Malaguerra in the Group 1 Darley Classic with Manageress and Miss Promiscuity also scoring black type points.
19 individual Victorian sires recorded a black-type win or placing during the Spring Carnival.