Dual Group One winner, Palention, is poised to open the batting with a star lineup of mares at Sun Stud Victoria this spring.
Retired to Sun Stud after a career which included victories in the Group One Australian Guineas and Group One Makybe Diva Stakes – the only horse apart from the legendary Zabeel to achieve the double – Palentino has caught the imagination of broodmare owners throughout Australia.
He is arguably one of the best performed stallions to retire to a Victorian farm in the past decade.
“We knew Palentino would be popular given his record and the fact he’s such an outstanding type, but the level of interest has been terrific,” Sun Stud’s Sales and Nominations Manager, Phil Marshall, enthused.
“Aside from the tremendous uptake of outside mares, Sun Stud will also be supporting the stallion heavily with our own broodmare band.”
Among the Sun Stud broodmares lining up for a date with Palentino is:
- a half-sister to multiple stakes winner, Pretty Perfect, from the $5 million mare, Milanova;
- a Sadler’s Wells mare from Group Two winning 2YO, Langoustine;
- a half sister to the dam of this season’s Group winning 2YO, Single Bullet;
- a half sister to Flemington Group Two winner Vintedge; and
- a stakes placed Hussonet mare currently in foal to Vancouver.
Meanwhile, Sun Stud clients have been quick to embrace Palentino.
Among the broodmares coming from off farm is the winning Elusive Quality mare, Shabtis, a half sister to 5-time Group One winner, Mummify, and the dam of Melbourne Group winner, Take Pride.
Shabtis is owned by successful Mornington Peninsula based breeder, Don Byrne – who has bred several stakes winners including Encosta de Lago’s Group One winner Ultra Fantasy.
Shabtis’ Written Tycoon colt sold for $530,000 at the 2017 Inglis Australian Easter Yearling Sale while the weanling full-sister made $235,000 at the Inglis Great Southern Sale this past June.
“There’s a great deal to like about Palentino,” Don points out.
“Apart from being a brilliant racehorse, he’s a magnificent looking creature and is bred very well. I’m really looking forward to seeing the first of his progeny.”
Others set to find their way to Sun Stud include
- the dam of multiple stakes winner and half sister to the dam of dual Group One winner Kermadec (also by Palentino’s sire, Teofilo);
- the Group Two winner Avienus;
- the Fastnet Rock filly, Close To My Heart (closely related to Machiavellian and co.);
- a stakes winning Snippets mare from a half sister to Danzero;
- a multiple winning daughter of Group One winner Mon Mekki;
- a stakes winner of 10 races; and
- a winning half sister to stakes winners Excites Zelady and Zelady’s Night Out.
“Palentino’s race record is clearly an attraction, particularly the way he backed up in the autumn with a cracking victory in the Group Two Blamey Stakes, but Palentino is also proving to be a real ‘look and book’ type,” Marshall adds.
“Nominations have really escalated since people have come to see him on farm and we expect there will be quite a few more bookings after the Sun Stud Open Day & Stallion Parade on Friday 18 August.”
For more information or booking to Palentino call Phil Marshall on 0407 853 782 or visit www.sunstud.com.au